Distances & Travel Times
From planes, trains and automobiles, it’s easy to get to Milwaukee. The city is located just 90 minutes north of Chicago and within a day’s drive of one-third of the U.S. population, with a highly-ranked airport just 8 miles from downtown. So plan a road trip, hop on an Amtrak train or catch a flight to Milwaukee – it just might be a quicker trip than you think.
Milwaukee is conveniently located 100 miles north of Chicago at the intersection of I-94 and I-43. The award-winning $810 million Marquette Interchange completed in 2008 assures optimal downtown highway traffic flow.
|City||Distance (in miles)||Drive Time (in hours)|
|Green Bay, WI||120||1.75|
|Grand Rapids, MI||275||4.5|
|Des Moines, IA||370||5.5|
|St. Louis, MO||375||6|
Fly to Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport non-stop from more than 40 cities and 160 with just one stop. Eight airlines, including top carriers like AirTran, Delta and Southwest Airlines, serve Milwaukee with 300 daily departures and arrivals. Ranked by Conde Nast as one of the top five business airports three years in a row, General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) is 10 minutes from downtown and offers Milwaukee-bound travelers lower fares, eight auto rental agencies on-site and serves as a hub for ground transportation services, including taxis, shuttles, Amtrak and more.
The Milwaukee Intermodal features:
- 14 total Amtrak departures daily between Chicago and Milwaukee and daily direct departures between Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Amtrak connections through Chicago to over 500 cities nationwide
- Recent $17 million renovation featuring a glass-enclosed galleria
- For more information, visit amtrak.com or greyhound.com
- Bus Service to Chicago Airports
- Wisconsin Coachlines provides a relaxing and stress-free ride to Midway or O'Hare Airports. coachusa.com/wisconsincoach/
The Lake Express Ferry is a state-of-the-art vessel linking Milwaukee with Muskegon, Michigan. The two-hour trip offers passengers a faster and more direct route than driving south around Lake Michigan through the Chicago area. Visit lake-express.com for more information.