Volunteer Position Description
Warmly greet all visitors, creating a welcoming atmosphere and providing excellent customer service.
Assist visitors by accurately and friendly responding to their questions and requests for information.
Promptly address visitor inquiries and, if needed, direct them to relevant VISIT Milwaukee resources, such as the official website (www.visitmilwaukee.org), the Official Visitors Guide, the Baird Center Visitor Information Kiosk and interactive touchscreen, or a VISIT Milwaukee staff member.
Familiarize yourself with the group or convention in attendance by visiting their website (web address or information will be provided).
Maintain punctuality and fulfill volunteer obligations responsibly. Notify the Visitor Experience staff of any schedule changes or issues.
Always represent VISIT Milwaukee in a professional manner, upholding the organization's image and values.
Familiarize yourself with the various locations where volunteers may be assigned, including the Baird Center, local attractions, hotels, and restaurants.
- Volunteers are expected to commit a minimum of 25 hours annually, with an average shift duration of three to four hours.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Genuine passion for helping visitors discover and experience Milwaukee.
- Friendly and approachable personality to create a positive impression on visitors.
- Patience and willingness to work cooperatively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Active listening skills and the ability to effectively address questions, problems, and situations.
- Solid foundational knowledge of the Greater Milwaukee area, particularly downtown.
- Clear communication of simple directions, both verbally and in writing.
- Physical ability to walk and/or stand for extended periods of time, as volunteers are expected to be on their feet for most of their shifts. There will be opportunities to sit.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Meet & Greet: Welcome visitors and provide information about area attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc. This activity typically happens in the Baird Center during conventions.
- Directional Assistance: Help visitors navigate Milwaukee, especially downtown, and offer information on public transportation options. This activity usually occurs in the Baird Center, at major hotels, or attraction/outdoor venues during conventions and major events.
- Registration Assistance: Distribute registration bags and/or information packets to convention or event attendees.
- Welcome Table: Staff an information table, answering questions and offering suggestions about area attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc. This activity usually takes place at the General Mitchell International Airport, major hotels, or large events held outside the Baird Center.
- Convention Bag Stuffing: Assist with pre-convention and event preparations by filling registration bags for attendees.
- Event Helpers: Assist in various capacities during large Milwaukee events.